Thursday, March 5, 2009

I thought these were just in my imagination until I saw them in an episode of Family Guy. Apparently, most people see them. Wikipedia:
Floaters are deposits of various size, shape, consistency, refractive index, and motility within the eye's vitreous humour, which is normally transparent.They may appear as spots, threads, or fragments of cobwebs, which float slowly before the sufferer's eyes. Since these objects exist within the eye itself, they are not optical illusions but are entoptic phenomena.

One specific type of floater is either called Muscae volitantes (from the Latin, meaning 'flying flies'), or mouches volantes (from the French), and consist of small spots. These are present in most people's eyes and are attributed to minute remnants of embryonic structures in the vitreous humour.
Follow Blame it on the Voices on Twitter | Blame it on the Voices on Facebook

If you liked this post, you can subscribe to the Blame It On The Voices RSS feed and get your regular fix

4 comentarii:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this! I always wondered what those "floaters" were.

Anonymous said...

I've had them for years! If you look up at a smooth overcast sky, or an untouched field of snow (any really blank surface that covers up your field of vision will do) and slowly roll your gaze around, I think most people will see them...

Macular Eye Disease said...

I've had them as well. However, if they persist over and over, you may want to seek help. My mom had them for a period of time and then got diagnosed with macular degeneration.

Anonymous said...

I knew it wasn't just me but i never new what to call them

Post a Comment

Dear spammers! Please note that a nofollow attribute is automatically added to all the comment-related links!

You can use the following HTML tags: <b>, <i>, <a>